The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a spouse or partner
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 29th, 2013, 08:09

Default going away alone

Hello to all my friends,
It has been awhile since I have been on forum. I need an opinion from my friends. I need to get away and have decided to go away for a few days. I am going by myself. I am going to a place that Jim and I used to go to a least once or twice a year for the past 20 years. It is a place in pennsylvania that is only a 4 hour ride from home. I decided to go there even though I think it will be bittersweet. I felt that this was a place I knew and that it is a place I am really comfortable in. I want to get away and have no one to travel with. Jim and I had planned to travel at least once a year and I love to travel. If I want to to that I need to know I can do it alone. What do you think?

Hugs,
Sheryl
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:53

Sheryl: I think you need to go, step out of your comfort zone and let things happen. If you don't like it you can always go back home. Create your new memory being alone. Jim would want you to go as well. Shows a sign of strength.

Jacquie
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:55

Hello, I've sat here and thought often about being alone and doing things alone. I have come to the conclusion that there is a difference between solitude and isolation. Solitude is good, we surround ourselves with to many people we start losing sight on what we like, who we are, and without even realizing it becoming what everyone else wants from you instead of what you want from yourself. On the other hand i don't think isolation is healthy, people begin to lose social skills which drive them further from the loving connection we all long for so much. The loss of this can cause feelings of depression, rejection, or even anger and irritablility towards others from not feeling wanted or appreciated.

These are a few thoughts of what I feel about being alone. But as far as going on vacation alone; I say do it. I've gone out by myself several times since the loss of my love, and honestly when I do that I feel the presence of my Alycia that much stronger. I believe since it was my intention to make time that I normally would to spend with her, it opened me up to become more perceptive her energies being all around me. It brought me great joy and comfort, yet it was painful because while I could feel her and see her all around me, I longed for her physical embrace. It also helped me feel like I'm still honoring her memory by doing what we love to do together.

I hope this helps because I believe they would want from us atleast what we would want from them had the roles been reversed if not more. If we are to live with these feelings of pain, then we need to find the balance and increase the positive and pleasure. We need to live for them, really live. So I say if this feels right to you then you should definetly go on vacation alone. Not many can bare the thought of being alone, but I feel we have to be comfortable with being alone before we can truely be comfortable being with another.

I Love You All
Saludos
Bradg
Old July 29th, 2013, 21:23

Jacquie and Bradg,
You both gave me the encouragement to feel good about what I am doing. Bradg I agree wiith you about solitude and lonliness. I feel the lonliness most at night in the empty house, but i like the solitude when i walk in the morning. I talk to my husband all the time and that makes me feel a little bit less lonely. I just wish and want to be able to touch him and see him again.

Hugs,
Sheryl
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk View Post
Hello to all my friends,
It has been awhile since I have been on forum. I need an opinion from my friends. I need to get away and have decided to go away for a few days. I am going by myself. I am going to a place that Jim and I used to go to a least once or twice a year for the past 20 years. It is a place in pennsylvania that is only a 4 hour ride from home. I decided to go there even though I think it will be bittersweet. I felt that this was a place I knew and that it is a place I am really comfortable in. I want to get away and have no one to travel with. Jim and I had planned to travel at least once a year and I love to travel. If I want to to that I need to know I can do it alone. What do you think?

Hugs,
Sheryl
shalom Sheryl, hope your ok, well, i think its fantastic that you are being so brave , oh yes it will not be an easy thing to do but its a step out of your comfort zone, im very proud if ya for making such a tough decision. we all know its gonna be a trip down memory lane, there will be tears and laughter but remember jim will be there in his own way.
i have sent you a prv massge, please let us know how your trip goes, if you want to of course, thanks for sharing this with us dear friend, im sure it may encourage us to also step out, its an act of faith. my prayer for you is that you will feel him at your side, that you have much laughter amidst the tears, that you will have shalom in ya heart, and the journey to and fro will be safe, may God put His shield of protection around you always. bye bye for now.

sending many hugs.

chrissie. xx
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:24

Message deleted.

Last edited by j's daughter : March 14th, 2014 at 17:28.