The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a spouse or partner
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 13th, 2007, 04:02

Default I had a nightmare

I had a nightmare last night that my husband was killed in a car accident. He has just drove out to California from where we live in Oklahoma and I am just terrified now. The dream was so very realistic. I awoke in a panic and cried for almost 2 hours even though I knew it was only a dream. After experiencing this, I just can't imagine how I would react if something actually did happen. I am just beside myself with fright.
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:59

Cassie, I hope you've gotten over it now! it was just a dream, not real... I've had dreams like that and the terrible things I dreamed about have never come to pass.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 00:25

Default nightmares

We all have nightmares like that from time to time. It makes us feel guilty, and sad, but it's wierd how the mind works while you're out of it. It does not always mean something bad is going to happen. Of all things we think we know in this world, man's dreams are the most perplexing.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:59

if you keep worrying about ti you will end up making yourself ill and that will do neither you nor your husband any good as hard as it is try and put the dream out of your mind just because you dreamed about that your dream interpretaions are not what you dream about and have different meanings
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:52

Default Nightmares and dreams

Although residual dreams and nightmares can haunt us for hours or even days, we actually encourage their return when we dwell on them. As if it was a DVD we keep plugging in. If we put it away, with purpose, and fill our minds with pleasant, or minor thoughts, such as reading a fashion or travel magazine before bed, we open our minds to more pleasant dreams. Well, that works for me!
Old August 23rd, 2007, 18:54

Default Nightmares About People Dying

We've all had those nightmares, and they're disturbing.

Most people will tell you (decades after the dream) that nothing that remotely resembled the dream ever happened.

Your dreams are about your worries, subconcious thoughts, etc., but then your mind may put things you've recently seen or heard on those subconcious feelings as the images attached to them.

I've seen in my own dreams how things I've seen on tv, comments I've made to someone, things I've seen when I'm out, etc. have shown up in my dreams. Its as if you have the feelings or subconcious thoughts way down deep, and in order for your brain to process them it needs to attach images.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 20:10

I wonder if this dream may have been triggered by seeing the movie or trailer for the movie Premonition? I think that's the title.

It involves Sandra Bullock's character having premonitions of her husband dying in a car crash.

Best of luck getting over the nightmare, cassie.
Old August 24th, 2007, 00:29

Poor Cassie, I'm so sorry you had such a horrible dream. But I absolutely agree with what the other writers here have said. Dreams are not premonitions. They're the subconscious working out all the "junk" that accumulates during the days. Try not to give your dream too much power, and hopefully the memory will fade away and not trouble you again.
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:40

Cassie that must be scary.... I never remember my dreams...... I wish I could but I can briefly remember tidbits when I first wake up but the more I think about them the less I remember.
Old August 25th, 2007, 13:22

Default Premonition

I saw Premonition too. That movie took the whole idea of dreams melding with reality, but it was just a movie. I don't believe we can control our dreams in order to make things happen one way or another. I think our dreams, the ones we remember are more like the ones we somewhat "choreograph" ourselves. The ones which fade throughout the day, are ones that are deeper in our subconscious. Is that right?