The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums

The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/index.php)
-   Grieving children (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Preparing a Child (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89)

SageMother July 9th, 2007 16:50

Preparing a Child

There are those circumstances where a child will be left behind by a dying parent or sibling, and will watch them wither until the last breath is drawn and released.

How would you prepare a child for those changes and the ultimate death of the person they are close to?

sandmike123 July 15th, 2007 23:24

I have been preparing my kids for a few months now that my dad was very sick and dying. He just passed today and handled it quite well. They were not close to him so I am sure that made a difference. Things may change in a few days when it starts to sink in.

SageMother July 17th, 2007 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandmike123 (Post 518)
I have been preparing my kids for a few months now that my dad was very sick and dying. He just passed today and handled it quite well. They were not close to him so I am sure that made a difference. Things may change in a few days when it starts to sink in.

I am sorry to hear of your dad's passing. I am sure you are right about things sinking in. It is good that you prepared them. They may still have questions but at least they have a good foundation to work from.

Calypso August 6th, 2007 18:57

Sandmike, I'm so sorry for your loss.

As for preparing children, there have been some wonderful children's books written about the topic of death. My favorites are "The Fall of Freddie the Leaf" by Leo Buscaglia; "Annie and the Old One" (can't remember the author, but it's a goodie); and "The Tenth Good Thing About Barney" by Judith Viorst.

Snuggle up with your child and read these books while providing lots of reassurance and comfort. This can help prepare them for an impending death.

Small kids can usually only handle a few minutes of intense conversation at a time, so don't be surprised if it takes several sessions to get through the book with your child.

luciestorrs August 7th, 2007 04:05

Calypso, I quite agree. "The Fall Of Freddie The Leaf" is wonderful, and so is "The Tenth Good Thing About Barney". I don't know the other one but I'll certainly look it up.

BTW, you can find some of these books and many others at The Light Beyond bereavement bookstore, where there is also a section on books for children and books for teens.

Calypso August 7th, 2007 21:08

Hi Lucie! Thanks for the link to the bookstore. I'd somehow missed that while browsing around the site. I'll certainly have to go take a look, because I love books and we do a lot of bibliotherapy with our patients and families at hospice. Thanks again!

cassiem0221 August 13th, 2007 03:07

I have thought about this for quite some time and I have no idea how to answer this. Children just aren't capable of fully understanding something like this and I know that they really must get easily confused. I don't even want to think about how to tell our children that something tragic could happen at any time.