PDA

View Full Version : How're we doing with the holidays?

dukettemom
December 21st, 2007, 07:59
I think most of us will agree that the holidays bring their own particular challenges when we've experienced loss.....

How are we doing???

This is the second Christmas without my mom.... And I'm OK, i think. I did run across her cookie iron the other day, and i thought, I need to make rosettes. ;)

However, it's the 30th Christmas without my dad.... and i miss him terribly. Every year when we put up the tree, i think of him the whole time. He took such joy in decorating the tree.... He would spend hours putting icicles on, each single strand precisely placed. I miss him, still.

leighdu
December 23rd, 2007, 10:35
I've been doing pretty good with it. I really feel my dad still pops in and checks on us, and I can sense it even more during the holidays. It would be better if he were here physically though, but I am sure he isn't missing out on our festivities.

shay
December 23rd, 2007, 12:23
I'm doing ok. It's my first Christmas without my grandpa, but I feel worse for my grandmother. It's her first Christmas without him in 40 years. :( She seems to handle it all really well though. She is so much stronger than I ever thought. We're spending Christmas at her house. My aunt is cooking dinner, and I am doing desserts. :)

ginahunt3
December 29th, 2007, 22:06
It's the 3rd x-mas since Grandma died & I just go through the motions mainly for the kids. She always said she didn't like the holidays but I know she did. This year was even harder because Grandpa is in the hosp. & has been since the Sunday before x-mas.

Rachele
December 30th, 2007, 11:46
I was a complete mess leading up to to Christmas. Our first Christmas without our mom, whose loss to us is still so recent and devestating. Christmas actually went OK. After Christmas, I fell apart again, crying, anxious, and trying to be a mother to my kids home for Christmas vacation. It has been so hard and for a few days, I was not speaking to my sister.
My mom's death was a complete surprise and shock and we are still scrambling for answers to why she died and that no one in the hospital could tell us anything. We were robbed at saying our goodbyes and it hurts more than anything. It is so hard to find support from people because no one really understands the loss of a mother or parent unless you've gone through it. I look here often to find support, but lately it's like a ghost town. Guess everyone still busy with parties and recovering from the holidays. So, I'll try to hang in there. Have no choice, my two kids need me.

Jewel
December 30th, 2007, 12:29
It's the 3rd x-mas since Grandma died & I just go through the motions mainly for the kids. She always said she didn't like the holidays but I know she did. This year was even harder because Grandpa is in the hosp. & has been since the Sunday before x-mas.

My great grandmother died on Christmas day many years ago. Her daughter, my grandmother, has always had hard feelings towards Christmas since that year, however, she goes through the motions for the family, much like you described yourself as doing. I just want to let you know that I'm sure the family appreciates that you are still able to do this, because I know I was very thankful that we were still able to have a normal holiday after her death.

Ricardo
January 5th, 2008, 12:33
This was our second Christmas without a dear friend who passed away in her 80s.

This year we baked some of her cookie dough that had been frozen. I'm not sure about how long cookie dough should be frozen, but tasting her cookies again brought back memories.

Jewel
January 5th, 2008, 15:57
Ricardo, that is a very interesting way to remember somebody, and a good one at that. I'm glad to hear that the cookies brought back memories, sometimes memories can really help you deal with your loss.