PDA

View Full Version : What the......

grace
July 24th, 2013, 17:02
Recently I had email exchanges with 2 acquantances I haven't seen in a while.

The exchanges were going a long fine, 1 to and 1 from with each, and they stopped.

I didn't get a response back from either one, Coincidentally , once I mentioned that my husband had passed away unexpectedly last year.

What is wrong with people? I wasn't asking for anything but a reply of any sort, even if it did not acknowledge my comment, would have been nice.

Has this happened to you? How did you handle it? Did you accept it and ignore it, or address it head on?
- Grace

j's daughter
July 25th, 2013, 13:07
Grace, I am very sorry for the loss of your husband.

I can only guess that your friends just didn't know what to say in reponse, so said nothing. Little comfort for you, I'm sure. I don't know that it would have taken much just to phone you or e-mail back to say "I didn't know - I'm sorry for your loss - do you want to talk?"

At the very least, people should be able to manage that much, shouldn't they?

As to how you might respond depends on whether you want the relationship to continue. If not, then write it off. If you would like to hear from your friends again, give them the benefit of the doubt. Contact them once more and see what happens.

Not fair for us to carry the burden of keeping a relationship going when we are the ones who've lost someone, but there it is. For all we know, the other person we are talking to has lost someone, too.

I hope things work out. We need all the support we can get some days, don't we?

grace
July 26th, 2013, 16:40
Thanks for your response Jannie's daughter.

And yes, a little support is always welcomed and appreciated.

After all I've been through, I'm taking the hard route.

The onus is on them to reply, I view that as common etiquette. So if they chose not to it's their loss.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to send another note that again isn't replied to.

In this age of electronics, a nice note would take less than 5 minutes of their time.

Oh well, their loss, not mine. - Grace