PDA

View Full Version : Helping your partner grieve

Sadie
August 25th, 2011, 14:44
Hi, I'm new here. I am in a long-distance relationship and my partner's mother just died (in another country). My partner and I spend 6-8 weeks per year together and his plan is to move here asap. We've been together for almost 3 years. His mother was suddenly diagnosed with cancer. I went to visit her and my man (I am trying to be opaque!) and was lucky to have one week of visiting her in the hospital. I stayed for a week after that and went to the funeral. I am so glad that I was able to be there for him, and for her. It was all very sudden and quick. She was 80. My man has mostly lived in the same house as his Mum for most of his life and he is taking this hard. I want to be able to support him, from afar, while he goes through the hardest part. But, it's hard......I thought that having somewhere to vent and to get ideas from other people might help.

p.s. I'm also trying to deal with my own grief. I knew his Mum quite well and was with her when she died. That was a first for me. Lots of emotions going on.

Thanks, Sadie.

tom-fisherman
August 26th, 2011, 04:00
Shalom in Yeshua Sadie, it must be hard for both of you being so far apart. I will include you both in my evening prayers.

There are a few things you can do if you both have access to a computer. If so, you can speak to each other at very little cost using a programme called 'skype' Its free to download and free to use over the internet. Using this you will be able to talk to see each other (if the computer has a camera) and talk things through. In addition you can use conventional forms of communication.
You need to be together but as you can't you can talk without high bills.

If he is agreeable ask him to come into this forum. We are all willing to help and have all lost loved ones.

May God bless you
Tom

Sadie
August 26th, 2011, 10:09
Thank you Tom. What a lovely message. "Jack" and I skype every day and it has been such a comfort over the past couple years. I love seeing his face and hearing his voice. I also have unlimited international long distance and can call and talk for as long as we want. He and I haven't missed a day of communicating/connecting in 3 years. Pretty impressive record, methinks. :) He's a very special guy and it's an amazing relationship and love that we share. Thanks for your suggestions.

Sadie

Sadie
August 26th, 2011, 10:10
Ohhh, I see that you are in Northwest England! That's not far from where my sweetie lives.

Sadie