PDA

View Full Version : Are you afraid?

trick-r-treat
August 1st, 2007, 22:32
Are you afraid of dying? I know I am. I so dread what I will have to go through and the pain that I will feel.

sandmike123
August 3rd, 2007, 06:49
Yes and no. I am not afraid of death itself, but I am afraid of how it will happen. As with everyone I am sure, I pray that when it is my time I will go quietly in my sleep.

Calypso
August 4th, 2007, 20:28
I'm a lot less afraid of dying now than I was when I started working for hospice. The only issue that's still hard for me is the issue of non-being (I'm not religious). But I guess when that time comes, I won't know or care, so it's a silly thing to worry about.

Taggart
August 10th, 2007, 08:38
I guess I haven't thought about my own death a great deal.

I don't think I'm afraid of what will happen after I die. Like almost everyone else, I'd prefer a peaceful death as opposed to a violent passing.

riskey58
August 23rd, 2007, 18:46
Yes in some ways I am afraid. I think we all have some inner fear of dieing.I just hope I go fast and not but my family through a long and suffering illness.

shay
December 9th, 2007, 14:52
I'm not afraid of dying, but I am afraid of living in pain. With me being a dialysis patient and having all sorts of other medical problems my whole life and being so close to death so many times, I have come to terms with death. I know that I can't live forever; no one can.

tater03
December 10th, 2007, 08:49
What scares me the most about death now has changed over the years. What scares me now is never seeing or being there for my family anymore. I feel like death in some respects is final and I just am afraid how my sons will respond to it.

dukettemom
December 10th, 2007, 12:19
no.

i have no fear of dying. i just don't want to be in prolonged pain beforehand.

i sat with my mother for 3 days and nights preceding her death.... and from that experience, my non-fear was strengthened.

shay
December 13th, 2007, 14:47
What scares me the most about death now has changed over the years. What scares me now is never seeing or being there for my family anymore. I feel like death in some respects is final and I just am afraid how my sons will respond to it.

That reminds me. I'm also afraid of what my death would do to those around me. Not to sound self-centered, but I am a big part of my mom's stepdad's, fiance's, and grandmother's lives, so if I died (like when I get my transplant after the new year; I'll only be 20 years old) then they would all be very hurt. I'm afraid of what my mom and sister would do, bc I don't think either of them are mentally stable enough to handle something like that. Just thinking about how they would be if I died makes me cry...:(

ammulu
December 13th, 2007, 15:04
I am not afraid of death as such but scared of having a worse death with pain and sufferings. I just wish it be quite and calm, but who knows what is in store for us. I just do good deeds and hope it finally helps me to have a peaceful death.

ginahunt3
January 19th, 2008, 19:15
I am terrified of death. When I saw the look of fear in my grandmothers eyes, when nothing ever phased her, that did it. I guess it's the uncertainty that makes it worse. I've been with a few people when they took their last breath & the disbelief of they were just here & now they are not so are they somewhere else or do they just cease to exist? Does that make sense?

ginahunt3
January 19th, 2008, 19:21
I am terrified of death. When I saw the look of fear in my grandmothers eyes, when nothing ever phased her, that did it. I guess it's the uncertainty that makes it worse. I've been with a few people when they took their last breath & the disbelief of they were just here & now they are not so are they somewhere else or do they just cease to exist? Does that make sense?

Rachele
January 19th, 2008, 21:39
Yes, Gina it makes sense to me. I have feared death my whole life, of getting a terrible illness or dying in car crash or something. What most scares me is what comes after death. I hope that I will go on in spirit like the verse I posted today. I also fear separating from my family. A day and a half before my mom passed, she had a cardiac arrest and they stablized her. That night I rushed over to the hospital and will never forget the fear I saw in her eyes. When she saw me, she looked comforted that I was there. I did not say goodbye that night, I told her she should rest as she needed to. I did not know that that would be the last time I saw her conscious. So death is hard concept for me and I wonder if it maybe part of the big plan that I should confront my fear of death. I have become more spiritual and religious and it is comforting during those times of pain.

ginahunt3
January 20th, 2008, 17:12
It sounds like you have been through a similar experience as I did at the hospital. If I live to be 100 I will never forget her eyes, the confusion & fear in them, they were so blue. Her eyes went from green to blue usually. That night they were bluer than I had ever seen them before. She was never afraid of anything but that night I saw terror. Now I am consumed with fear of the unknown.

ginahunt3
January 20th, 2008, 17:20
It sounds like you have been through a similar experience as I did at the hospital. If I live to be 100 I will never forget her eyes, the confusion & fear in them, they were so blue. Her eyes went from green to blue usually. That night they were bluer than I had ever seen them before. She was never afraid of anything but that night I saw terror. Now I am consumed with fear of the unknown.

Rachele
January 21st, 2008, 22:50
Yes, Gina I think we do have similar experiences, as well as fears of death and the unknown. Thought I share this with you: I once had a dream after my mom passed. Prior to falling asleep, I was thinking about how scared my mom must have been. That night, I felt like I was dying in my dream. I remember being so scared and then felt like I needed to surrender and then felt peace. After that, the dream showed my mother in her house, in a hospital bed and she sat up. I said, Mom what are you doing, you're dead and she replied no I'm not. I woke up in a panic. Later, I began to interpret my dream. What I think is my mom what telling me she was scared at first, but when she surrendered, she felt peace. The vision of her in the hospital bed in her home sitting up and telling me she's not dead, was her way of telling me she is still here.

Nicola
January 25th, 2008, 14:28
i dont think i am scared of death, i am not religious at all but i do believe in the afterlife.

i just hope that when i die, i wont be leaving anyone close to me, i know how heartbroken i am because of my dad passing, i dont want anyone to feel like that over me,