PDA

View Full Version : Books

Taggart
August 1st, 2007, 09:20
Have there been any books that you've really enjoyed or have made a difference in your life?

I enjoy quick reads sometimes, but I don't seem to spend as much time reading as I'd like to, especially the more meaningful books, whether they're fiction or not.

Calypso
August 1st, 2007, 19:54
This probably sounds really silly, but the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling have actually made a difference in my life. Even though they are "kids' books" (at least, the earlier ones are), they contain a great deal of wisdom. For instance, when I'm feeling frustrated about the path my life is on, I think about one of the lessons in the second book--that it is our choices rather than our circumstances that define us. That thought has encouraged me to make some positive changes in my life.

trick-r-treat
August 1st, 2007, 22:29
I think I can say that from reading certain inspirational books, like from Deepak Chopra for example, I do get another outlook on things.

Taggart
August 2nd, 2007, 08:01
I don't think it's silly to find some "words of wisdom" in a book like Harry Potter.

I know they're intended to be kid's books, but I knew someone who bought them as they were published, into her eighties. She was a wise soul, too.

leighdu
December 23rd, 2007, 10:39
There are so many books that have a made a difference in my life, that I don't even know where to start, so I will try break them down into categories:

1) Spiritual/Inspirational: "Journey of Souls" and "Destiny of Souls" by Michael Newton, " We Don't Die" by George Anderson, and "Stephen Lives" by Anne Puryear.

2) Memoirs: "Angela's Ashes" and "Tis" by Frank Mccourt

3) Fiction: "Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy

shay
December 23rd, 2007, 12:25
I don't think I've ever read a book that changed my life or made a difference in my life, but my fav author is V.C. Andrews. I love all of her books, though I've not had time to read in a few years now. I will again soon though, I'm sure. :)

ginahunt3
December 29th, 2007, 21:54
I enjoy V.C. Andrews too, but I am a freak for Stephen King, Dean Koontz & John Saul. I just finished Lisey's Story by S.K & I really had a hard time getting through that one. It was one of the one's that you have to really get deep into. I was a little disappointed. Before that I read Cell by S.K. that was really good. I also enjoy Tami Hoag & Sue Grafton, depending on my mood.

Rachele
December 30th, 2007, 15:54
I have emmersed myself in reading since my mother's passing. I have found some hope and comfort in book such as:

1. Love Beyond Life: by Joel Martin and Patricia Romanowski
2. We Don't Die: by Harold Sherman
3. The Afterlife Connection by: Dr. Jane Greer
4. Walking In The Garden of Souls: by George Anderson and Andrew Barone

These books are really well written, interesting and offfer hope and comfort to anyone experience loss and death of a love one. I highly recommend these books.

ginahunt3
January 1st, 2008, 19:20
Those sound very helpful, but I think I would rather keep my mind busy & kind of not think of death. That's why I read fiction. It's sort of an escape for me.

Rachele
January 2nd, 2008, 21:27
For me, reading spiritual books has offered some comfort. My mom's passing is still so recent (4.5 months) and was sudden and unexpected. Her death has raised many fears and anxieties about her life, her death and my fear of death. Working in the field of counseling, I hear and help so many people with their problems. Unfortunately, right now I do not have that third party person who can just listen and offer comfort and hope. The one book I especially like is "Walking in the Garden of Souls" by George Anderson. It explains what he has learned in his work about what happens at the moment of death and after. It offers hope to those who are so pained by watching a loved one suffer and die, as I and maybe some of you have.

Lola
January 11th, 2008, 21:46
Every book I've ever read has probably influenced me in some way or other. I grew up reading a lot, and still love to curl up in a sofa and relax with a book in my hands. Great literary works reflect life, so they teach you about the world and about people. Then there are also books written specifically to help those who are struggling. Those can be very helpful since it's one person's advice to another.