The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a child
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 14th, 2007, 16:13

Wow, that's an incredible story. I agree completely with your view on doctors and encourage people to always get a second opinion. I'm glad this had a happy ending.
Old December 4th, 2007, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by atula View Post
God has been very kind to us...the child not only survivied but is 2 years old now and my sis - in law also has a very healthy second 3 month old.
This happened to me with my daughter, too. I was told the baby wasn't going to be alright be that he'd send me to another doctor before doing
something to "get rid of" the pregnancy. What a feeling of terror that is!
Fortunately the second doctor said "that baby's fine!" and my daughter
*is* fine and wonderful.
Old December 4th, 2007, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaleaeight View Post
When my mother was dying, though, that doctor was a complete jerk. My mother was in the hospital and had surgery. An infection set in. The nurse came and said the doctor wanted to talk to me on the phone at the nurse's station.

He was apparently calling from home because his kids were being noisy (screaming and yelling) in the background. He said, bluntly (after telling his children to be quiet because he was on the phone), "You should start saying your 'good-byes' now."
Do you mean you think the part without compassion was telling you this on the phone? If so, I agree completely. Things like that simply should not be done that way! If you mean that he suggested saying goodbye, doctors often do that because if they don't, families can come back and say "why didn't you tell me it was almost time?"

In any case, I'm very sorry for your losses and I hope you've found a doctor you can be comfortable with now.
Old December 4th, 2007, 23:02

It is always good to get second opinions, because if you go with one opinion, just imagine that little life not being around...even if it didn't survive on its own, you gave it that chance.
We have to remember though, that doctors are people too. They may act the way they do because they have to work 24/7, have families, and see lots of sick people. They may seem mean in order to disassociate themselves or maybe because of personal things. Myself just working in a store, I've become a less welcoming person. I don't say hi to anyone. I am just so tired of everything, but I am very nice to people I know, so I can see both sides.
I am just glad you made the right choice.
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyMoron View Post
We have to remember though, that doctors are people too. They may act the way they do because they have to work 24/7, have families, and see lots of sick people. They may seem mean in order to disassociate themselves or maybe because of personal things.
This is so very true. There are just some things that don't have an easy way to announce, so it will always end up sounding "mean" to the family in question. I know that some medical people appear more compassionate but the bottom line is the same no matter how they say it, and that's often the difficult part much moreso than how it was said.
Old December 6th, 2007, 11:24

Medicine is like any other field - there are those who are great with people and those who are not. I'm sorry your sister had to run into someone who had such poor people skills during this difficult time. Thank goodness she found another doctor who had a heart.
Old December 6th, 2007, 23:06

I agree...we can dwell on our angry feelings of the past or count our blessings. I say put the past aside and be glad she made the right decision! That doctor probably hears it from everyone else anyway!
Old December 7th, 2007, 18:26

Default coincidence or heavenly blessing?

My daughter in law had a jerk for her first pregnancy. He had absolutely no tact and wound up scaring her to death. She decided to get a new doctor. When she told me the name of her new doctor I nearly fainted. Out of all the OBGYNs in LA she chose the very same doctor that had delivered my son, her husband! The end of the story is that he delivered a healthy baby girl, and has been her OB for her other pregnancies!
Old December 17th, 2007, 15:18

Default very stoney heart

Wow, that was very stone hearted. I'm so glad she sought a second opinion! Just imagine! What with the child now being 2, and has a little brother or sister to boot. I think some doctors (and society) are so used to abortion, they don't think of the little ones in the womb, nor of the happy expectant parents when they want that little one very badly!
Old December 17th, 2007, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
My daughter in law had a jerk for her first pregnancy. He had absolutely no tact and wound up scaring her to death. She decided to get a new doctor. When she told me the name of her new doctor I nearly fainted. Out of all the OBGYNs in LA she chose the very same doctor that had delivered my son, her husband! The end of the story is that he delivered a healthy baby girl, and has been her OB for her other pregnancies!
So her husband was her doctor? And yours? haha...I could imagine the interesting conversations that could stir up. "My husband sees a lot of naked women every day, and I'm totally okay with that!"