The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Religion and spirituality
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 20th, 2007, 21:46

I find it hard to come to terms with my death. I know I won't be here forever, and I believe in God, but I don't know how to accept that I will one day die. I know that I will one day die, but I don't know how to accept it.
Old July 21st, 2007, 16:28

I think that something like that would only make me happy and find more ways to enjoy my life and make it more fulfilling.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramathea View Post
I find it hard to come to terms with my death. I know I won't be here forever, and I believe in God, but I don't know how to accept that I will one day die. I know that I will one day die, but I don't know how to accept it.
Sometimes I just have to tell myself that everyone has to do it, just like everyone goes through birth.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony_mom View Post
I agree that sometimes what seems like a punishment or God turning His back on us turns out to be a blessing. I sometimes questioned why the Lord would allow my grandmother to suffer through her dementia, forgetting everything and living confused and lost. But I see now the impact that caring for her through that time made on my mother and the rest of our family, and I know that trial was not to test my grandmother, but to strengthen us.
Yes it may strengthen us but at what cost? I have thought about this many times when people suffer before they die.
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmike123 View Post
Yes it may strengthen us but at what cost? I have thought about this many times when people suffer before they die.
There are times when suffering is allowed, not by a deity but by the people surrounding the person who is ill. Relief is often with held in the hopes that its being withheld will avoid some other consequence that only matters to those who are not ill.
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramathea View Post
I know that I will one day die, but I don't know how to accept it.
I think it would be great to have a philosophy or belief system to deal with this and the passing of loved ones.

I don't think I have any great words of wisdom, but I find it helpful to consider the countless generations that have passed before us, and realize how relatively short our time in this life is. I think when we go for years without thinking of this, it's harder to realize when we do consider it.

I think it follows that we should try to have our relationships as positive as possible, and avoid negative experiences, especially with our loved ones.

I hope that doesn't sound too vague. They're just some of my thoughts.
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony_mom View Post
I agree that sometimes what seems like a punishment or God turning His back on us turns out to be a blessing. I sometimes questioned why the Lord would allow my grandmother to suffer through her dementia, forgetting everything and living confused and lost. But I see now the impact that caring for her through that time made on my mother and the rest of our family, and I know that trial was not to test my grandmother, but to strengthen us.
Yes, I agree. Everything that God does is for a Cause. I still don't know exactly why Sean is how he is, but I do know that God wouldn't have given him to me unless he had a reason. I know now I cherish my children SO much more than I did before I had Sean and I think that with time I will know what this journey is leading to.
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
When my ex-husbands grand father died, we had a wonderful surprise.

With us both being Wiccan, family events centered around churches were always a source of friction, but to our amazement at the funeral home, the service was performed by Freemasons. No one was aware that his grandfather was a ritual magician.

It was a great weight lifted from my ex's shoulders.
That would have been a very interesting funeral! How did the others in the family react? I don't know if you do much story writing, sagemother, that I think this is a story worth a write!
Old August 26th, 2007, 17:56

Default Coming to terms with death.

I think it is really hard to come to terms with death. But if you have faith no matter what your religion might be It will help you to come to terms with death.
Old September 24th, 2007, 13:24

Quote:
if you have faith no matter what your religion might be It will help you to come to terms with death.
Not sure this is necessarily right.

You can't come to terms with death without first coming to terms with life.

What's life for?

You live, you work, you die. What's the point?