The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Religion and spirituality
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 15th, 2007, 18:11

Default Spiritual Encounters with Loved Ones Passed?

Has anyone had an encounter with a passed loved one's spirit? Did you see their ghost or did they come to you in a dream or something else that showed that they were watching over you?
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:09

yes.... and some people think i'm crazy if i talk about it, so i'm careful who i talk to about it.... lol

my Granny pretty much raised me when i was very little. She was a huge, huge influence on my young life. She died when i was 5 or 6. But i remember it like it was yesterday. (i'm 46) A few months after she died, my mom and dad had an argument about something and my mom threatened to take me and leave. She always was an emotional volcano.... simmering and exploding at the least provocation..... anyway, my dad convinced her to at least wait until 'tomorrow'.

so we all went to bed that night as usual. Sometime during the night, my mom woke up and saw her mom standing by her bed looking at her. Once my mom was awake, my Granny started looking toward my bedroom and frowning, like she was sad. So my mom got up and went to my bedroom and found me burning up with fever. Well, i was so sick that she woke my dad up; they sat up with me all night and worked thru whatever it was that had caused the threat to leave. She never did leave him.....

there were a couple other instances when Granny 'visited' in times of crisis.

another weird thing.... i have a very keen sense of smell. I remember what my first boyfriend smelled like.... LOL.... so..... i've smelled my MIL, my Granddaddy, and my Mom at times of 'need'.

my Dad has visited me in dreams. Not often..... but a few times of extreme indecision and/or stress. Just recently i dreamed about my Dad. It was kind of like he was saying, "i'm still here, watching over you....." It was hugely comforting.

Has your Grandfather visited you? Is that why you ask?
Old November 17th, 2007, 13:19

I have never had anything like this happen, but I don't discount it when others say they have. I have always wondered why some people have these encounters and others don't and wonder if it is some special ability (a sixth sense?).
Old November 17th, 2007, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjsarauer View Post
I have never had anything like this happen, but I don't discount it when others say they have. I have always wondered why some people have these encounters and others don't and wonder if it is some special ability (a sixth sense?).
i think you have to be "open" to it happening. If you're not afraid, and welcome it, i think the likelihood of it happening is higher.
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:44

I personally don't believe in the supernatural, but I haven't had any experiences like this that would make me believe otherwise. However, I can see that they would be very comforting and helpful as a part of grieving.
Old December 5th, 2007, 00:33

Well, the reason I ask is bc my grandmother saw something a day after my grandpa died. See, he was sick with cancer, and we knew he was going to die soon. He stopped eating for 2 weeks before he died. He died at 5:25pm. Exactly 24 hours later, my grandmother's fav grandfather clock stopped...at exactly 5:25pm. It stopped for a day, then started back up. The batteries were fine, no one changed them. No one touched the clock at all. My grandmother thinks it was his way of letting her know that he made it to heaven ok and to not worry. Kind of sweet.
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post
Well, the reason I ask is bc my grandmother saw something a day after my grandpa died. See, he was sick with cancer, and we knew he was going to die soon. He stopped eating for 2 weeks before he died. He died at 5:25pm. Exactly 24 hours later, my grandmother's fav grandfather clock stopped...at exactly 5:25pm. It stopped for a day, then started back up. The batteries were fine, no one changed them. No one touched the clock at all. My grandmother thinks it was his way of letting her know that he made it to heaven ok and to not worry. Kind of sweet.
it certainly sounds like a sign of something.... very sweet.
Old December 8th, 2007, 14:22

Post More than coincidence or wishful thinking?

I think my mom have been giving me signs of her continued prescence in places or things I have gone or done with her. They are specific to her and me but are unusual enough to think how can that be a coincidence? I have had two songs given to me that talk about how she had to go and I must carry on the best that I can. Lastly, I have had during moments of complete silence and thinking about her, visions and feelings in my mind of her holding her hand out to me. I have never had so many things of this magnitude happen to me before. I have had before my mom died times in my life where I would dream or think about someone I haven't seen in years and then see them weeks later. Maybe I was more open to the spirit world than I thought.

Right now I struggle with continued thoughts of not being able to say goodbye because she was on life support and her death was unexpected. I also wonder if she was scared and if she felt peace at her death? I had a dream last night and felt I was dying and I was so scared and then surrendered in my dream and felt peace. Then I woke up.
Old December 10th, 2007, 22:52

I lost my dad in September of 2005. Even less than a week after his passing everyone in the family starting experiencing spiritual encounters. Lights would flicker over and over, and there were a few times I would come home and my thermostat would be raised up signifigantly (we had a very high bill at the time ). Other times the radio would just pop on without anyone touching it and one of his favorite songs would be playing. There were just too many things to add them all up to coincidence.
Old December 18th, 2007, 15:37

Default visits?

..I'm a real nonconformist when it comes to this.. I believe people who have moved on are asleep in the grave.. awaiting the resurrection.. anything else (to me) seems very disorganized in a very organized universe (discounting the anomaly of death/imperfection that is).

I seldom listen to the radio.. like maybe four times in all my adult life! But one day I turned it on for a few moments, just in time to hear of a past acquaintance's death.. that was very odd.. and I chalked it up to life being at times extremely serendipitous, as he would have had no reason to visit me as we'd never even spoke as far as I can remember.. I do wonder, sometimes tho, about the "near death" 'experiences' had by quite a few people

Last edited by flowerchilde : December 18th, 2007 at 15:43.