The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Religion and spirituality
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:54

Default " Continued Communication with our departed loved Ones "

I want to start a post that all are welcome to join in on if they so wish.. Please feel free to add to my thoughts if you so wish..

I was asked a pertinent question the other day by someone new to the forum here.. I feel it may also have some bearing in reassuring others that our loved ones still hear us and want to communicate with us .. They are sending their love to us even now as you read this post..

I will do my best in my subjective opinion to answer this question .. As I have mentioned before I'm neither a professional or "Know it All"
I just see things differently..

When someone you love dies are they able to hear you when you believe you are speaking to them alone? Also, are there signs that they are with you and ways they may be trying to communicate with you, and what are they? Can a deceased loved one see what’s in your heart for them and can they help you and be your guardian angel? How can you know they are there?.

In the many years that have passed for me since my Beloved wife Tammy left this world.. I spent many years.... searching for answers.. This in my opinion rings true and I feel I know it as the truth... Feel free to read on and decide for yourself

These questions speak to the heart of anyone whose loved one has died and who faces into the great unknowns of that experience. our longing, our sadness, and the ongoing desire for connection pour through our words. My impression is that we have someone in mind and that we miss him or her terribly. Whether we miss someone now or anticipate future losses, though, grief is great in this world of losses.

Likewise, consolation can and does come strongly to people, as the hope behind our questions suggests.
Do we control how and when it comes? No, but we can set up conditions that allow reassurances to find us. These conditions are vitally important, because they affect our ability to receive the gifts that life is bringing us.

Let me try to lay them out one at a time:

* Each of us needs to trust that our own unique way through our uncertainties – no matter what their nature – holds far more power than swallowing whole what anyone else tells us. People along the way can guide us, but at best that guidance takes the form of reflecting back to us things we already know. When you hear wise words from someone you trust and you have an “aha” moment of recognition, you acknowledge that their words are true for you. But the center of gravity needs to remain within your own heart and mind, even around the people you trust the most. We’re all human; we’re all finding our way; we can all help each other; and we unfortunately let each other down from time to time, being human. Each of us needs to take careful responsibility for his or her path, in the good company of others. You can think of this as a dance in which each dancer must know her own part thoroughly and understand how it relates to the rest of the troupe. If each dancer takes on this sense of accountability, then all can work together to insure the beauty and harmony of the dance.

* To know what your ongoing connection is with a loved one requires a clear heart. And a clear heart comes at the high price of grieving fully. Don’t be afraid to mourn. Without experiencing someone’s absence, it’s hard to fully appreciate his or her presence. This is true even with the living: You fall unbearably in love, and when your loved one is away you feel wrenched to the core. That wrenching can tear you to pieces, or it can tear away the veils that blind you to realms of being that go beyond the tangible, visible, and audible ones. Or, often, both happen: You get torn apart and that’s exactly what opens you to something more in life that you had been missing.

* The nature of the “something more” is one of those mysteries you can only find for yourself. When psychologist Abraham Maslow studied the qualities that made people psychologically healthy, he found that people of sound mind and heart recognized and valued what he called “peak experiences,” moments of feeling tuned into the wonder of the universe. Such a moment could literally be a mountaintop experience, when you drink in a vast view of the world; or it could be a moment of making love; or it could even be a surprise that flashes through your mundane moments, like William Butler Yeats’ experience of sitting in a normal café and suddenly feeling his body “blaze” with the awareness that he was blessed and could bless. You might want to think about when you’ve experienced this sense of something that draws you beyond your immediate situation and into an expansive feeling of awe and belonging.

* That “something more” is a gift that death in particular offers us. It gives us a direct experience of the fact that nothing can take away life. Death and birth are opposites, but as philosopher Paul Brunton astutely observes, “Life remains what it is, deathless and unbound.” Even at this moment, as your heart beats steadily and breath fills and empties from your lungs, you can see that you did nothing to bring about this experience of life. It comes to you freely, gratis, and it always has. You can trace back to a time when life appeared to begin in this body, and you can anticipate an end when this body no longer serves you. But to say that the life is the body or that death ends your life doesn’t match up with a scientific understanding of the way the universe recycles matter and energy, much less with a philosophic or religious understanding.

* When a loved one dies, you wonder, “Is this really it? Are they completely gone forever, and is my bond with them entirely severed?” This very wondering – the fact that finality doesn’t quite ring true to you – may be a clue that it’s not the whole picture. That does not alter the acute sadness of being left on earth without a loved one’s physical presence, as we lay his or her body into the ground or offer it into the fire. But as you say, what you feel in your heart is still overwhelmingly alive. You even feel that you can talk to your loved one and expect that the message reaches him or her. And why not? Most of us have had experiences where we are thinking of a living friend and suddenly he phones us. Even in life our relationships are not merely physical.

* Knowing that our relationships go beyond the physical and that we must find our own path in this life, the time after a loved ones dies can be a time of opening and exploring. You can ask, “What is my communication with this person now like?” You can look for ways that your loved one might be trying to reach you. Certainly there are many recorded instances of people feeling that such a message came through without any element of doubt. You can find a safe, private space and speak words of endearment to your loved one and see what happens in your own heart and mind when you do so.

* Even while setting aside time for this kind of exploration, remember to connect with people still on earth for comfort and support. As human beings we take on the tremendously challenging, invigorating task of drawing together two poles: our physical reality and our spiritual being. Both deserve attention, all the more so during an important time like that of grieving a death. In traditional cultures, it’s taken for granted that death is a communal experience: that during the wake and the funeral and for at least a year afterwards everyone’s in this together – not only in the sense of grieving, but also in the sense of reflecting back to one another aspects of the loved one that each has incorporated into his or her own self. The more we can bring this paradigm into our more fragmented modern world, the less lonely and isolated we will feel about death. Your longings for help and guidance are real; and whether or not they can be met by someone who died, they can surely be met by the living.

Thank you for taking time to read my thoughts..

As always I wish you peace and a level path in your journey.

Cal821
Yet no person is really alone;
those who live no more echo still within our thoughts and words,
and what they did has become woven into what we are.

I wish you peace and a level path on your journey...

Cal821

Last edited by cal821 : December 29th, 2015 at 12:56.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:53

Default Death Where Is Thy Sting?

Death Where Is Thy Sting?

Although we are eternal beings who cannot die and even though in truth there is no death, to say: ‘Death is nothing!’ would belittle its significance. What we earthlings perceive as death, when someone departs from this plane, is but a change and a transformation into a different state of life, which every soul has to undergo at the end of each lifetime. I believe that eventually everybody will reach the level of awareness where they can accept that this is so; we shall thus save ourselves a great deal of pain and suffering. You don’t have to take my word for it that this is true. How about trying the following for yourself?

First find a quiet space where you can be sure that no-one will disturb you for a reasonable length of time. The best and safest way of doing this is by first asking your Guardian Angel to stand by you, to guide and protect you and show you the way. Then make yourself as comfortable as you can, light a candle, look into its flame, centre yourself by listening to the sound of your breathing, and feel how you are becoming still. Only when you are good and ready start to imagine that your loved one is drawing close and wishes to communicate with you. Focus on your heart and listen to the words of comfort that come to you from there, safe in the knowledge that these are not messages from some ‘other world out there somewhere’ but from your own heart, where your loved presently dwells.

Having done this for a moment or two, read the words that start at the following paragraph. Don’t think about them or evaluate them, but focus your attention on the world of your feelings and listen to the responses that come from your heart; they are your inner guidance. This is what your loved one wishes to tell you:

‘I have not gone from you. I have merely slipped onto different level of life and that is very much like going into another room. The world of spirit is not some place else. It is not ‘up there’, but an integral part of your present environment, the material world. Although I no longer dwell on that plane, I am still myself and you are you; we always shall be. We are eternal beings who cannot die and whatever we have ever been to each other, we still are. The love between us does not need to die through my departure. The great wisdom of the Divine has decreed that, on the contrary, through the experience of death human love should grow stronger and deeper – if two souls so wish.

‘That’s why I ask you to call me by my old familiar names, let them be the well-known words they always were and say them without effort. Speak to me the easy way you used to do and let there be no difference in the sound of your voice. Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Enjoy the jokes that made us laugh and express your amusement the way we always did together. Play with me and smile at me. Think of me and pray for me in the manner you always did. Never doubt for a moment that I can hear you, that I feel your love, and that I shall always be with you, wherever you are.

‘Life is eternal and the human spirit is immortal; in truth, there is no death and life consists of absolute and unbroken continuity. On its inner level all is one, and you are as much part of me as I am of you. Nothing needs to change between you and me, just because I have gone through the great transformation before you. If we both so wish, our relationship can remain the same it always was between you and me, and life continues to be everything it has meant to us. My departure from the physical plane was no accident; it was meant to happen exactly when it did. For your sake – not mine – make an effort to accept this, the way I have done. And don’t believe anyone who tries to tell you that because I am out of your sight, I should also be out of your mind. That can only happen, if you so wish. But if you still want me, the death of my physical body is going to present us with many opportunities for coming closer to each other than it was ever possible, when we both still dwelled in physicality.

‘You can find me and be with me, whenever you want to, because I shall be alive in your heart, for as long as you want me to be there. In the corners of your mind I am always waiting for your call. I shall never be further away from you than a thought, and you can get in touch with me whenever you want; it’s as simple as that. I shall always listen to you when you need me; when you call me, I shall come to help and guide you. But, never forget that you and I each have different lessons to attend to – you in the material world, and I now in the world of light. Therefore, let us also give each other the necessary space and time, so that when we do meet we can come ever closer to each other, to share precious moments – the way we always did. All rests safely in God’s hands; all is well. God and the Angels are always with you and with me, and am I.’

Hope
What do optimists do?
They hope! But what is hope?
It is not the closing of one’s eyes to
Difficulties, risks or failures!

Hope is an inner trusting that:
If we fail now, we shall not do so forever;
If we make a mistake, we shall learn something from it;
If we get hurt, we shall be healed.

Hope is an inner knowingness that:
Life is good;
Love is all-powerful and can heal everything,
Including the most difficult situations and relationships!

Hope is one of the Universe’s finest gifts.
It enables us to trust that, in truth,
The moment of physical death is not an ending,
But a new beginning and a release into
The greater freedom of our true home, the world of light,
Where those who have gone before us
Are waiting to welcome us.

Aquarius

From ‘Comfort for the Bereaved’

With love and light,
Aquarius

Aquarius
Author of ‘The Random Jottings of a Stargazer’
And the Astro Files
http://www.raysofwisdom.com/
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:05

Default signs of their presence

Thank you both for your shared thoughts. If we take the time to stand still and look around us all the signs are there arnt they ?

This morning early I watched the sun come up it was so glorious the sky was lit up like fire it was like rubies and I said a prayer of thanks to God it was like His way of sending His love to us and all our loves gathered with Him senfing their love also.

The whole of creation is groaning to be released from this beautiful but heavy realm, our loves have crossed over, they have passed through the veil, they havereturned to our hesvenly home and each of us will also one day be called home where there is fullness of joy no more pain sickness or sin.God willcom
mand our alloted angels His minerstemring spirits of fire to come to each of us
to carry us home, but there is another promise that one day this world that we love , our present home will be made new we will return here again and live out all etrnity but no longer will there be death pain or suffering cDeath where is thy sting? All things shall be new we will all be together forever and God has promised to be with us and be our God forever.

We may have hurting hearts rigjt now we cannot deny this and some of us are begging the question, dear God how am I going to make it without them? This I believe, despite the agony to be without my precious giuliano and the fact that I have to make a new life without his physical presence he snd I have a future together yhat no devil can stop and tjat is for all of us. So please hold on in there, help is on its way wr are never alone. God bless.

Chrissie. Xx
Old January 12th, 2014, 17:11

may the words on this thread give you comfort in your loss x
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:14

The Sailing Ship – An Allegory

Imagine in your mind’s eye, if you will, a sailing ship. After a long break on dry land it is getting ready to once again enter into the freedom of the high seas. The ship shows great beauty and strength, as it joyfully opens its snowy white sails and offers them to the morning sunshine and the breeze. You are one of those left behind at the shore. Sadly, you watch the ship’s departure until you can see no more of it than a speck of white cloud on the horizon where the ocean meets the sky. A mournful voice close by says: ‘Ah, it’s gone!’

During the coming days, you keep wondering to yourself: ‘Where did the ship go?’ Finally, you come to the conclusion that this does not really matter because you know that wherever it may be now, it will still be as beautiful as it ever was, and that its mast and hull will be just as strong as when it left your shore. At that moment, as if in a dream, you sense a voice calling to you from some distant shore: ‘It’s arrived safely. It’s here!’

The death of the physical body is similar. Nothing changes, we remain the same one we always were. Our feelings and desires remain unchanged. All we have done is shedding our outer shell like a worn out overcoat. Eternity is here and now and everywhere. Each moment we spend on the Earth plane and all other worlds is an integral part of Eternity. Any loss on our present level of life is the spirit world’s gain. On the other side of the veil of consciousness each death in our world is always a happy event, because one of us is reborn into the full awareness of their true reality and is therefore coming home. We are eternal beings of light. There is no death and we cannot die. It’s just that from time to time we have to gather our experiences, so that we may learn from them and grow, on different levels of life – that’s all.

Roger Carswell
Edited by Aquarius

From ‘Comfort for the Bereaved’

Aquarius
And the Astro Files
Old May 31st, 2015, 07:43

True friendships last beyond this earthly existence. We take them with us wherever we go and bring them with us, should another incarnation become necessary. They will then be part of our support system, so there is every reason to nurture our human relationships and look after them, right here and now. Whenever the need for it arises, it is to our advantage to aim to transform even the most difficult and traumatic ones into connections of friendship and love. True love is an eternal bond between two souls, who will always recognise each other, wherever and whenever they may meet again.

Aquarius
And the Astro Files
Old September 8th, 2015, 10:49

such comforting wise words from (cal821) like all his posts on this site he gives help, comfort, answers, understanding compassion,and reasons for hope for the future to all those who grieve. i know he helped me out of the darkness was the first who lifted me from the depths of despair If you read the many posts he has written i pray his words will give you the same and he helps to lift you from your grief To find a future where peace and acceptance is found His words guide us to go forward carrying our loved ones in our hearts where memories sustain us on sad days and lifts us with joy on good days as we remember happy times, To find grace through the anger all the mixed sad emotions of their parting questions of why but coming through with gratitude they shared our life because even though time may have been far too short we have a love that is eternal he gives us hope in finding peace in the assurance that we will see them again in heaven All this takes time i hope you find the answers in the hands of friendship given in the many posts by him on grief recovery xxx
Old September 9th, 2015, 09:10

I particularly like his/her signature: 'There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.' Washington Irving

So true.
So very, very true.

With love - Aquarius

Aquarius
And the Astro Files
Old October 18th, 2015, 11:55

re posted this inspiring post from (cal 821)his words as always gives us reassurance in our grief that love, wherever we may be in heaven or earth however far the distance our love is always felt Love never dies it connects us like a rainbow of light our memories feelings our love from heart to heart keeping us connected until we meet them again x
Old August 21st, 2016, 11:14

re posted Daves message one of the many he posts that have a meaningful message to many people x