The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Moving on after a loss
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 3rd, 2012, 16:53

Exclamation Recovery and the Power of Self Commitment

As I have reiterated before in my previous posts.... I'm neither a Professional or a "KNOW IT ALL " .... I have been schooled in repetitive deep losses in my life and have developed a different objective point of view.. As always I post my thoughts not to be inflamatory but to facilitate thought on the subject. You decide on the information .. if it rings true within you or if it's rubbish....

Just some of my thoughts ... over time I have studied many articles, and books on different subjects and have come up with my own objective train of thought on these subjects.. Please feel free to read on.

My thoughts on the subject: Please decide for yourself if I'm being subjective...

Power of Self Commitment in our path of Recovery:

Perfecting any art and or completing any journey requires commitment. Commitment holds us through to gaining the necessary experience which we then reflect upon and refine into skill. Skill keeps the ball rolling and perpetuates the development of real world applicable knowledge – and this positive cycle continues.

The journey of deep understanding, mastery of the self, personal empowerment, realization, self enlightenment or where ever it is that our own personal mountain peak may be, becomes clearer as we advance, because we gain skill, knowledge and technique. Our mind has already learned to move beyond certain limits and discovered experiences that it could once only imagine. We build on prior experiences, we extrapolate from our skills, exploring tangents, working on grander ideas and simpler methods. We develop guidelines, rules and structures which we have proven to ourselves work time and time again in the real world. These rules give us stability, they provide us with a knowing that we have a partial map of how to get to our destination.

Without commitment however, all the rules change.

Commitment is what will see us standing by our game when skill fails us. It will see us being steadfast when the world is seemingly against us. Commitment is what will give us the humility to honestly look at ourselves. It is what will give us the strength to surrender the parts of ourselves that no longer serve.

There will be times on the path when it seems like all our teachings, knowledge and understanding have failed us. Perhaps there will be many times. Look down at your feet and just concentrate on taking the next step.

In this moment here and now commitment is just taking that next step.

We talk about empowerment. We talk about enlightenment, magic, healing, self-mastery and personal development. The real magic is commitment. When we find ourselves at the very last step of our lives and we look back at everything that we have experienced and reflect on the directions that we have chosen, we will know that what brought us to this final step was commitment. The question is not whether commitment was there – it is whether we have been committed to what is important to us.

Have we lived lives that are integral to us or have we forgotten our meaning? Are we truly okay with our compromises? Or do we wish for more?

Commitment is power when we are committed to purpose and meaning.

If we seek greater intimacy in our relationships, more passion in work, enhanced spiritual awareness or connection to meaning and purpose – commitment is what will have us standing at the pinnacle of those goals.

Seekers may argue over the relevancy of different types of technique and skill, and even masters may quibble over the specifics of knowledge and concept. That’s just the way it is. There are many ways up the mountain. Even half way up there will be people who tell us we’re going the wrong way, “that you need to climb up the other side!” Or that perhaps we are climbing the wrong mountain. The one thing that cannot be denied however, is that the journey takes commitment to succeed. And interestingly the details of right and wrong will usually become apparent as we continue the journey. At times we may even turn completely around and head the other way only to find that we are closer to what we truly wanted after all. There are many mountains. What is important is that we climb somewhere and continue to climb. Through this journey we connect to the source of who we are.

Thank you for reading

I wish you peace

Cal821
Yet no person is really alone;
those who live no more echo still within our thoughts and words,
and what they did has become woven into what we are.

I wish you peace and a level path on your journey...

Cal821

Last edited by cal821 : May 8th, 2012 at 15:52.
Old August 21st, 2012, 18:56

Wow - a heavy read but really profound and real advice. In order to move forward in any situation in our life you have to go on a journey of self discovery to an extent. That's all part of what not only makes us unique but also helps us to become in my opinion. I have a theory that every experience in life is built on self growth, self expression, a realization of who we are and when you stop being open to the journey, you stop being who you're meant to be.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 16:09

Thank you Heavenlygirl.

Just some of my rambling thoughts...

Cal821

Cal821
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:33

bump to the top for re-read

Cal821
Old April 25th, 2014, 06:46

thankyou for bumping up this thread wherever we are in our journey through grief your messages have so much value and speak to us differently to whatever part of the mountain we find ourselves sometimes we have to sit a while and just consider the climb where we have come from what we have achieved and if we can see where we are going The future without optimism may seem like one bleak nothingness but thinking about it we know pessimism of the future we left at the foot of the mountain we are all here for the climb as we know life will get better again one day and happiness with our lives is there for the taking in the future it's just a long rocky road to the summit the walk down over the other side is an easy ride compared to the climb but our loved ones are always with us showing us the way because more than anything the love shared always remains and love means they implore us from afar to smile again and live out our lives as happy as we can be love hazel