The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Moving on after a loss
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 14th, 2010, 19:00

Default Life After Loss - Three Years On

I attended my fiances funeral on the day of my 22nd birthday. I thought that my life was over almost before it had truly begun.

I am 25 now and the past few years have been hard. Time can never heal us fully but I think we adjust to incorporate our loss into our lives. I like to think nowadays that I embrace the shadow of my past instead of trying to fight it.

I have a long term partner. In the early stages of dating him last year I discovered by chance that he also lost his fiance at 22. It obviously helps to have someone who understands what we have been through but our grief is very different.

And I am also a mother now. My little boy, Gabriel, is my saving angel.

Three years ago as I stood by the coffin of the man I should have married I would never have believed that I would be here now as I am - which is happy mostly.

There is hope after tradgedy.
The people who love me, love all of me and my past is very much a part of the person I am.

And just because time has passed and our situation is changes does not mean that the people we lose mean any less to us.

We both have pictures of our lovers by our beds. I think it helps us cherish what we have now even more.
Old December 12th, 2010, 14:44

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I am happy to hear that you are doing better and have found someone and have a child. My heart is still far too broken to think about relationships. It will be 14 months for me on the 15th of December and on the 18th of December our son will be 18 months old. I think our son has given me so much strength to help my family and I get through this.

Dave