The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grieving teenagers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 3rd, 2007, 13:08

Default More deaths now...

It seems like my kids have had to deal with a lot more death than I did growing up. My kids lost 3 friends in the past year! It is really sad!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick-r-treat View Post
It seems like my kids have had to deal with a lot more death than I did growing up. My kids lost 3 friends in the past year! It is really sad!
It is sad but it is also an important lesson in the natural cycle of life. Sometimes I think the young are almost too sheltered from this, which contributes to their feelings of invincibility.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
It is sad but it is also an important lesson in the natural cycle of life. Sometimes I think the young are almost too sheltered from this, which contributes to their feelings of invincibility.
I agree. I was exposed to the concept of death at an early age, and I think it helped me to become a more compassionate and understanding person early on, as well as being mature and understanding that we're not invincible.
Old July 4th, 2007, 00:57

I agree. In highschool, I lost 3 friends. Now at only age 23 there have been 5 more deaths out of our class. Its really astonishing at how many teens are dying lately.
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:45

About a year ago I attended the funeral of a 22-year-old step-nephew who'd taken his life.

I wasn't particularly close to him. His father married my sister-in-law about five years ago. But I was glad I went to the funeral service to hear the anecdotes of his friends speaking of his passion for the things he loved.

Speaking of my high school experience, I can't recall a single suicide in the five years I was there, but there were some tragic car accidents around that time where kids from school died and one where a high school student caused deaths by racing.
Old July 12th, 2007, 13:17

I remember there being several deaths when I was in high school, from suicide and racing cars. I can only hope that the the car accident brought some reality to some teens, that we're not invincible. For the suicides, well, it breaks me heart that teens get so teased and taunted (in some cases) that they take their own lives. My life in high school wasn't that great, but when I went to college I was amazed to find others with the same interests. I was no longer the geeky bookworm, but there was a whole department of English majors! I wish I could impart to teens contemplating suicide: There is life outside of high school!
Old July 15th, 2007, 19:50

There are times that I truly believe that, should someone be having grave difficulties in high school, they need to be let out or allowed an alternative. The drive to push everyone through the same small holes seems to be a bit insensitive, if not downright sadistic.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 22:01

I dealt with quite a few deaths in my high school years. My kids have dealt with death, but some of them have been pretty bizarre and unexpected. Sometimes I know what to say to them about death, other times, I'm just at a loss.
Old September 5th, 2007, 22:28

I was fortunate enough to make it through high school without losing any peers, but a few years after high school I learned that one of my former classmates had committed suicide. It was a real shock, since he always seemed so light-hearted and carefree, but I guess he got into drugs pretty bad.
Old September 30th, 2007, 20:01

My oldest daughter was a freshman, when she lost 3-very dear friends in a car wreak. It was so hard for her, but it did make her value her own life so much more.