The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grieving teenagers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 18th, 2010, 07:59

Send a message via MSN to Henry
Default My Story

Hello everyone,

My name is Henry. I am 17 years old. I was orphaned a little over a year ago. My mother died when I was 5. My father when I was 16. It shattered my hope when he died. I was broken. I used to scream at myself every morning for months just to get out of bed. I never thought I'd see the day when I could smile again. I never thought I'd see the day when I wanted to smile again.

I watched my dad go from being a pillar of strength to a ill, weary old man. He was only 43. It was cancer. I had been there all the way. He was ill for about 4 months before he saw a doctor. And it was another 2 before he was diagnosed with cancer. He struggled for 8 months before he died. And I struggled with him.

The reason I'm writing on this site, almost two years since it all began, is because I want to help people out there who have been through this. I know how vulnerable being an orphan can make you feel. Or death of any sort. I know how much pain you go through. And I know how it feels to wake up, every morning and wish you hadn't.

Maybe I can help someone. Maybe someone can help me. But one of the most valuable things I had in the months after my dad's death were my friends. They kept me going, they gave me strength, and they were always there. I hope I can be there for someone who needs a shoulder too.

Henry
Old July 3rd, 2010, 17:13

Send a message via MSN to Shell

I'm so sorry for your losses. I can't say I totally know how you feel, but I lost my mom about 4 months ago to a sudden brain aneurysm. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you to watch your father struggle. I'm 16 and some days I do just feel like dying but I try to stay postitive and look for the bright side of life.
Old October 13th, 2011, 16:02

Im really sorry to hear about all this. I have a similar story and i lost my dad about 3 months ago. and i was his main care giver and over the years he was sick we became like bestfriends it hurts so much to know that hes not here with me anymore.
I just read this and saw how similar our stories are and thought i would let you know that you can email me any time if you ever need someone to talk to.

Cbear94