The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a friend
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 21st, 2007, 16:32

Default How young were you...

How young were you when you lost your first friend? How did it affect your life? I lost a friend that died in a motorcycle accident when I was about 15, and I just couldn't understand how he was no longer in this world. It was so hard to get used to.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:16

Somehow I seem to have managed to get well into my forties without losing a close personal friend. I didn't suffer that loss as a child.

Last year we lost a best friend and neighbor who lived in our building, and I think about her often.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 21:58

I think my first was a high school girl that I knew. She committed suicide with medications and lingered in hospital for 2 weeks before they decided to pull the plug. I remember how stupid it seemed to me that they kept her on life support when it was obvious that she didn't wish to continue living. It gave me a new perspective on the meaning of respect and how people could ignore things that were too painful for them to consider.

Last edited by SageMother : July 24th, 2007 at 22:26.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 22:16

Senior year in high school one of the guys I had dated committed suicide. Was a real shock to me and years later I heard more about everything going on in his life at that time that I had no idea was going on. Sometimes you really don't know someone as well as you think you do. I never went to the funeral because I think on some level I didn't want to acknowledge he was gone.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 23:54

I was 15. A guy I went to high school with shot himself. It was tragic.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 19:32

My kids lost 3 friends in the past year and this has all been very hard for them.
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:44

I was in my early thirties when my best friend, Sylvia, died from ARDS (Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome). I remember looking at my watch every hour or so after she died and thinking that it was absolutely impossible that the world was going on without her. Sometimes it still feels that way.
Old July 30th, 2007, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
I remember looking at my watch every hour or so after she died and thinking that it was absolutely impossible that the world was going on without her. Sometimes it still feels that way.
I can relate to that. We had a great friend pass away who lived across the hall from us. It seemed so wrong that her furniture and possessions would be distributed elsewhere and her home would be sold and change into someone else's. We cherish some of her books, DVDs and crafts.
Old August 10th, 2007, 20:08

My childhood friend's brother died in a car accident 8-9 years ago. That was shocking and hard to deal with.
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:57

I lost a friend to a drunk driver when I was 14. I just couldn't imagine not having her around. I would wake up in the morning thinking about what we were going to do that day and then realize that she would not be there. I remember how terrible I thought it was that God would take someone so young out of this world. Now I know it was just her time to go.