The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a parent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:01

Default Cannot let go of losing my Dad!

Hello, I am struggling horribly after I just lost my Dad on Sept. 1, 2013. He lived in Chicago and I am in Ohio. He has been sick for years and was diagnosed with lung cancer in Jan of this year. He was too sick to do any treatments. Oxygen and home was home was his daily life. He got very sick and was home as he wanted my mom and brother took care of him! They finally called hospice in and he had cancer of the brain by then and was having nonstop seizures. I left Ohio to go to him on Sept. 1 at 8 pm and he passed at 11:15 pm Illinois time. My family chose not to tell me because of being on the road. Which I am OK with. I thought he would wait on me!!!!! I got there at 3am. They kept him at home for me to see and I love them for that. I am the baby of the bunch and was a daddy's girl! I just CANNOT let go of not being able to hear him I called every day sometimes twice a day!!! Cannot sleep, dream and cry wake up screaming. Will this ever stop????? I am on meds but I don't know they are helping or not. I am 45 and my Dad was 81....a good life together but I am doing nursing in college and wanted him here to watch my journey!!! Sorry rattling just lost!!!
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:41

Shalom in Yeshua ladycoppepper and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that the death of your dad is affecting you in this way. Know that I have already said a prayer for you to be comforted.

The feelings you have are very normal and yes it does get better with time. The best way forward is not to focus on his last few weeks of pain and suffering but the happy days you both shared and father and daughter. Talk about him to your family and friends and share the fun times together. This is the way to feel better by rejoicing in his life.

You can also talk to him as this also helps. Tell him about your day as we are taught that they can still hear us. Belief or not this does help. Spend a little time each day with a photo of him and just talk.

May God bless you
Tom
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:02

Please don't beat yourself up over something you have no control over. Your Dad would want you to be happy and move on in your life. He lived a long life and was blessed by his caring family. Talk to him and try to feel him.

So sorry for your loss...
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:47

I understand exactly how you feel. My dad passed away on 18th September and it is his funeral on Monday. I am dreading it as I don't know how I will cope. My mum died in April and now my dad has gone as well and I am totally heartbroken. I wish I could give you some helpful advice but I am struggling to cope myself. I just wanted to say that I feel for your pain and know the same pain in my heart. I am trying to focus on the fact that my mum and dad are at peace together now, just as they were in life.
Much love
Chris xx