The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a child
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:26

Default The doctor with a stone heart...

My sister- in law was excepting her first child 2 years back and went to the gyneacologist for a regular check up at 3 months. The doctor said that she would like to do an ultrasound to see everything was ok.

The test revealed that my sis-in law's uterus was subseptate. i.e. in layman terms there was a protrusion in the uterus that would make it very difficult for the baby to grow and survive.

The doctor instantly told her that you cannot have this child and you will definitely have an abortion.

Just imagine...this was my sis-in laws first child..She was so excited, delighted and expecting to hear so many good things at the same time when she went to see the doctor.

But what she had to bear were some blunt remarks from a stone hearted doctor.

After hearin the news she recovered from the initial shock and went to see another gyneacologist just for a second opinion.

Thankfully, this doctor studied her case carefully and said that althought her uterus was smaller than expected, if proper care was taken nothing will happen to the child.

God has been very kind to us...the child not only survivied but is 2 years old now and my sis - in law also has a very healthy second 3 month old.

My point is...we all believe doctors to be angels send by god to help us relieve from anxieties and our health problems..Was it right to say something like that to an expectent mom...
Even if her case was complicated and something disastrous was to happen...the doctor could have told her in a more subtle way...

We all know children are very special...their loss is not something that can be taken easily...so doctors pleae be more human towards those who have a faint chance....