The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Death, the law and you
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 15th, 2007, 18:44

I wonder what the alternatives are for those who haven't been able to afford a hospice. Are there charitable funds somewhere for that situation?
Old July 17th, 2007, 18:48

The hospice I work with is a not-for-profit. We never turn someone away, even if we know we're not going to get paid. That's why I love working there so much. I hope you and your loved ones never need hospice, but if you do, it's best to go to a not-for-profit. They'll do what's right for the client, not what's right for the bottom line.
Old July 17th, 2007, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
The hospice I work with is a not-for-profit. We never turn someone away, even if we know we're not going to get paid. That's why I love working there so much. I hope you and your loved ones never need hospice, but if you do, it's best to go to a not-for-profit. They'll do what's right for the client, not what's right for the bottom line.
That's good to know. So many times finances prevent end of life care outside of the home that think it should be something provided for every citizen if they choose to accept hospice care.
Old July 30th, 2007, 20:32

Until about ten years ago, most hospices were not-for-profit. The the word got out that there was Medicare money to be made, and a lot of business people created their own hospices with the intention of making money rather than helping people. That's why I say always go for a not-for-profit if you have that option.
Old October 13th, 2007, 19:37

I haven't decided just how to handle my final moments. I asked my son one time if he think that he could make the final decision for me. He was very hesitant, but we both know that John, my hubby could not make the decision. My son said that I was too young to even go there with something like that. He's just 21 and I know he thinks that life just goes on.

It's something that I know that I will have to put down and make legal. I really don't think that I want to make matters worse on my family one way or thast other.

DCMerkle
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:15

I'm not sure I could have made a final decision for my parents at age 21. I think I could now, though it would still be painful.

I've listed a close friend as my medical power of attorney and explained to my parents that I made that choice because I didn't want them ever to have to be in the position of "pulling the plug" on their own child. I hope the situation won't come up while they are alive, but if it does, I know my friend will treat them with the greatest compassion.
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:25

i am so thankful my mother had advanced directives. it really took all the "what if" questions off of me and my brother. Her wishes were very clear.

However, even with her very clear directives, the hospital's ethics board still had to be called to meet in order for us to have her pacemaker disabled. She was in renal failure, not a transplant candidate, other organs were beginning to fail, she was unresponsive and essentially being kept alive by her pacemaker. We told her doctor to disable it.... he had to call the technician to come do it after the ethics board gave their OK. They were pretty speedy about it and all, but, who knew??

again, i'm just sooooo thankful her wishes were so clear.

my husband and i need to do this for ourselves, too.
Old June 17th, 2008, 16:34

Default Cleaning up

This applies to UK Citizens

My Father passed away owing debts. I am passing this information on to help other people who have to deal with the financial side of a bereavement.
If any are in the deceased name only they are payable from the estate. In the order of

1 funeral costs including flowers
2 utility bills
3 other debts

please note utility bills in sole names cannot be transfered to a surviving partner.

All insurance policies on the death of the policyholder (the person insured) are part of the estate as are vehicles and pensions in certain circumstances.

Moving up is crucial to the well being of us all