The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of other family members
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 6th, 2007, 11:56

Default Young life lost

My cousin, Kirk, wasn't even 16 when he passed away. He had been on an outing with his dad and several other family members fishing and turtle hunting. On Father's Day he asked if he could take the boat out himself and do a little fishing. When he was a ways off from shore his father noticed that his life vest was sitting on the ground and tried unsuccessfully to get Kirk's attention. Several hours past and soon the group became concerned. After getting another boat in the water they found the other one motor still running beached on a tiny island in the river and no sign of Kirk. The search took four days before another fisherman saw the body. I feel so bad for my uncle because I know he often blames himself. I was just starting to get close to Kirk as well. I know this week is National Boating Safety Week and most people don't even know that. I felt it would be appropriate to share his story this week. Please take every precaution when you are out on a boat for any reason.
Old June 6th, 2007, 16:17

I am sorry for your loss. What happened to your cousin is so tragic. Thanks for reminding us that it is National Boat Safety Week. I had no clue that this was this week.
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:34

Thank you for sharing your sad and moving story. I hope it will save the lives of other kids who don't think safety jackets are important. I hope your uncle is able to be gentle and forgive himself. After all, he couldn't have known what was going to happen.
Old June 8th, 2007, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower_1978 View Post
My cousin, Kirk, wasn't even 16 when he passed away. He had been on an outing with his dad and several other family members fishing and turtle hunting. On Father's Day he asked if he could take the boat out himself and do a little fishing. When he was a ways off from shore his father noticed that his life vest was sitting on the ground and tried unsuccessfully to get Kirk's attention. Several hours past and soon the group became concerned. After getting another boat in the water they found the other one motor still running beached on a tiny island in the river and no sign of Kirk. The search took four days before another fisherman saw the body. I feel so bad for my uncle because I know he often blames himself. I was just starting to get close to Kirk as well. I know this week is National Boating Safety Week and most people don't even know that. I felt it would be appropriate to share his story this week. Please take every precaution when you are out on a boat for any reason.
How tragic and heartbreaking! The burden of your uncle's guilt needs to be lifted so he can begin to heal. And it's sad that you were getting to know Kirk and he was taken away. Cherish the memories you did have with him.
Old June 8th, 2007, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
I am sorry for your loss. What happened to your cousin is so tragic. Thanks for reminding us that it is National Boat Safety Week. I had no clue that this was this week.
I was unaware of this as well. It's little reminders like these that need to be spread so that others don't let tragedy happen.
Old June 8th, 2007, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
Thank you for sharing your sad and moving story. I hope it will save the lives of other kids who don't think safety jackets are important. I hope your uncle is able to be gentle and forgive himself. After all, he couldn't have known what was going to happen.
Absolutely never get on any boat without a lifevest. They're made to protect and keep you safe.
Old June 10th, 2007, 15:00

That is good advice. We are going on a family boating trip soon. And I am nervous as can be about taking our young son.
Old June 27th, 2007, 13:29

I can't imagine how devastating this was for your family, but especially your uncle. How has he coped with the circumstances surrounding the loss?
Old June 29th, 2007, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
I can't imagine how devastating this was for your family, but especially your uncle. How has he coped with the circumstances surrounding the loss?
Him and his family ended up going to therapy together. It was the best thing for them because it helped them heal together and now their family bond is stronger than ever. It seemed that if they hadn't gotten that kind of help the family would have fallen apart.
Old July 9th, 2007, 16:58

I had a friend in 9th grade who was on the heavy side and I hadn't seen her in years because I had moved away... I talked to a friend when I was in 11th grade and she told me that the girl died at 18 from a heart attack.
I also lost 2 friends last year to car related accidents who were barely 21, and a few months ago my brother lost his friend who drowned and was about 16 years old.
It is very tragic, but when I try to cope with it positively, I just change my outlook and consider every day to be worthwhile and I am grateful...I plan to do more with myself and live on for many years for those friends who were robbed of so much...