The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a child
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 4th, 2007, 10:26

Default I can't imagine...

I really don't know what I would do if I lost a child. I don't know how I would survive it.
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:32

Default Don't Know

I totally agree. I've thought about how I would go on if I lost a child and I just can't imagine it. I don't think there is any way someone could fully recover from that. I think it would be especially hard to lose a young child. I have a friend who lost her daughter at age 2. It was so sudden, I just can't imagine what she went through. Her daughter just started running a fever, nothing else. She took her to the doctor because it was really high, and in the waiting room while she was waiting for her daughter to be seen, the little girl had a seizure and her heart stopped. Just like that. I just don't know how she gets through every day.
Old July 4th, 2007, 13:26

It is extremely difficult. I lost my daughter on mother's day 1974 but my sister lost a daughter who was in high school at the time. I think her situation is much more difficult than mine was.
Old July 6th, 2007, 00:43

Oh that must have hurt so badly to lose a child on Mother's Day, not that it would have hurt any less to lose a child on any other day. But to face that memory every mother's day, when you're supposed to have your children surrounding you must be awfully difficult. How old was your daughter?
Old July 6th, 2007, 16:11

I think the hardest grieving to watch is a parent who has lost a child. I recall going to a funeral for a family friend who lost a baby to SIDs. It was heart wrenching and there are no words to console with this kind of death.
Old July 9th, 2007, 23:30

Even now that my kids are grown I think it would be terrible to lose one of them and I would have a hard time getting through it. I have grandchildren now and I often think of how hard it would be to lose one of them and don;t know how I would be able to deal with it and console my child too...hopefully I will never have to deal with it. Losing a child I think would be the most difficult thing for me.
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:06

I recently attended a funeral of a young man 22yo who had ended his own life b/c he was unable to handle the loss of a girlfriend. I did not know this man or his family or any of his friends. I was a stranger at this funeral. I had attended b/c the young man was an employee of my husband's and he thought highly of the boy. The tears and sadness within that church were almost unbearable and when his mother stood up, a woman completely unknown to me, I actually felt her pain. As a mother myself, it was so easy for me to feel what she was feeling, if one of my own children had died. As mothers we are all connected through our love of our children and we feel their loss just as if it were our own. My heart bleeds for any mother who has lost a child. But, remember you are never alone.
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:07

Debrajean, about a year ago I went to the funeral of a 22-year-old who took his life. He was the step son of my sister-in-law. This is a sad coincidence.

In his case, he seemed to enjoy life and he had a very nice girlfriend. But he'd tried suicide before, and I believe he was on medication and was supposed to attend counseling but didn't keep up with these things.

If I knew of someone who was prescribed that medication or supposed to be attending counseling, I'd make a point of trying to help them stay on the course. I didn't realize his situation at the time.
Old July 24th, 2007, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony_mom View Post
Oh that must have hurt so badly to lose a child on Mother's Day, not that it would have hurt any less to lose a child on any other day. But to face that memory every mother's day, when you're supposed to have your children surrounding you must be awfully difficult. How old was your daughter?
Octavia was 3 days old when she expired. She had Ductus arteriosis syndrome, meaning that her heart didn't have a left atrium, where blood is oxygenated, among other things.
Old August 25th, 2007, 18:56

Default Loss of a child

I just can't imagine what it would be like to lose a child. When you have children you always think that you will die way before them. I have a friend who lost two of her children. She took it really hard. She said the only thing that keeps her going is her faith. She always says that God had a special place for them in heaven.