The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a child
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 14th, 2007, 09:19

Default Abortion

Earlier today I read about a mother who'd had an abortion, and was now having severe feelings of guilt because of it. In her case, she was persuaded to have it by her significant other.

I'm sure it's a difficult time for anyone who even considers or has someone suggest an abortion. It's a kind of loss that I'd not really thought about very much before.
Old September 14th, 2007, 14:07

Wow, Taggert! That is quite a hot-button topic! I don't know if I would ever be able to have an abortion. Mostly, I think because of the guilt feelings.
Old September 15th, 2007, 00:19

In my experience an Abortion, is to be mourned as a loss, just as you would the actual child. We teach in post-abortion, that there will be a loss to mourn, and counseling is a must. It is a loss, even if it was the choice that was made and does deserves to be mourned. Do not lessen the impact. hope it helps?
Old September 15th, 2007, 17:08

I realize it's a very controversial topic. I don't know the person at all, other than seeing her posts in another forum.

I think she may benefit from this forum, though. Maybe I should try to PM if I see her posts again.
Old October 12th, 2007, 18:32

i feel whatever your thoughts on abortion are...it's still a loss. i had an abortion when i was younger. i don't think i fully realized what it was all about until i was a mother. pre and post counseling is a must when abortion is considered. the wondering has always stayed with me. i was fortunate enough to have great counseling when it hit me...i don't think everyone is
Old October 13th, 2007, 02:59

My mom had an abortion between me and my sister, and she still feels guilty for it after 20 years. I don't think I would ever get an abortion only bc I want a baby so much, and it would be a blessing to have one myself. Well, that and the guilt...I don't see how others can deal with the guilt. I knew a girl who had 3 abortions by the time she was 16. In a way, I hope that it caused her to not be able to have a baby...I don't think she deserves one after that.
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:54

i personally dont aggree with abortion as i believe all life should have rights and there are other options when you dont want your baby but at the same time i can understand the guilt you may feel if you have one and you didnt really want one maybe suggest to her to plant a tree or something where she can go to and think about her child
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:03

Oh the poor woman, i can only imagine the pain she must be feeling. My third pregnancy was a huge "surprise" to us, and I contemplated abortion. I just personally couldn't go through with it, and I am so thankful that I made that choice at the time, because honestly if I had gone through with it I don't think I could have lived with the feelings afterwards.

Anybody who choses abortion I believe would not make the decision lightly and deserves as much support as they can get, I wish her luck
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:54

Well some get the abortion done and later repent while my cousin had to lose her baby girl at the 6th month of pregnancy. I am not sure how can a mom to be think of aborting. I came across some others who were jealous of someone else becoming pregnant and immediately got pregnant but had to lose child at end of 2nd month. So many situations that I witnessed. It is hard to really lose your symbol of love.
Old December 10th, 2007, 13:17

any woman who has had an abortion must mourn the loss, regardless of the hows and whys involved, IMHO.

she will be dealing with feelings for years.... i think counseling should be mandatory before and after. I don't think anyone who has not faced it can understand it. I have a very dear friend who volunteers at a pregnancy action center and she has talked to me about the women who come to them afterwards for help..... she's just heartbroken by it.