The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Practical matters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 9th, 2009, 05:05

Question Executor....concerns

What is the role of an executor 'exactly'?
any help appreciated

My mum has appointed a executor and is under the impression that all they have to do is read her will after her death..and carry out her wishes of the funeral arrangements and to also give out to the people mentioned in it the x amount of money or gifts etc? (the Will is held at a solicitors but is to be handed to the appointed executor after her death - so I gather after that it's out of the solicitors hands.....not sure on that one, again any help appreciated).

Is this correct, I have looked it up online and have stressed to my mum that there is alot more to it than that?
How ever she is adament that NO this is all they have to do, what I have asked to be done in my will regarding arrangements etc. She doesn't seem to grasp have any concept, that the executor will be in charge of the selling of her house etc.
I am very concerned about how she sees it?

She also says that, she has appointed this person as they have not been named in the Will, because she again seems to think (has been informed)
if your a executor you can't be named in the Will, to which I stressed that is incorrect.

any help much appreciated
on any matters on this

thanks

Anniesong
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:22

I think it's important to have an attorney look over any documents, her last will and testament, etc. to make sure that all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. My mom was executer of my grandmother's estate and made very sure to go over everything in detail with my grandmother's attorney so that in the event there were concerns or questions, they were dealt with in a timely fashion that eased both my grandmother's mind as well as my mom's. It's important to know and understand the paperwork.