The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grieving children
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 14th, 2014, 20:43

Default "Suggested Bereavement Books for Children and Teens"

I thought I would post some suggested books for children and teens. They may help you when your explaining the really tough questions our children ask in trying to understand death, dying and grief.

Pre-school Age to 7 years
How I Feel Coloring Book
By Alan D. Wolfelt, Ph.D., 1996
This coloring book, designed for children ages 3-8, presents many of the feelings grieving children experience. (3-8 years)

Help Me Say Goodbye
By Janis Silverman, 1999
This book presents activities for children that will help them as they grieve and learn to cope with the death of a loved one. (4–8 years)

The Fall of Freddie the Leaf: A Story of Life for All Ages
By Leo Buscaglia, PhD, 1982
The tale of Freddie the Leaf provides insights into the cycle of life and death by personifying a leaf’s experience throughout the various seasons. Colorful photographs accompany this allegory as Freddie learns, with the help from his wise friend, Daniel, that each individual is unique. The book describes, in simple terms, the fact of each person’s death and the continuation of the cycle of life. (All ages)

I Miss You: A Child’s First Look at Death
By Pat Thomas, 2003
This book will help a parent, teacher or caregiver explain death simply yet realistically to young children. In a read-along format with nice illustrations, this book will allow children to discuss their feelings and better understand their loss. (4-7 years)

No New Baby: For Siblings Who Have a Brother or Sister Die Before Birth
By Marilyn Gryte, 1999
This short booklet begins with an introduction for parents and grandparents who are reading this story to a young child. The story is appropriate for very young children and is designed to help answer the questions they may have and give them comfort. (4–8 years)

School Age 6-12
When Someone Very Special Dies
By Marge Heegaard, 1988
This book helps children understand death through art. Through participation, drawing and writing children learn to express their feelings and cope. (9–12 years)

Why Did You Die?
By Erika Leeuwenburgh and Ellen Goldring, 2008
Subtitled “An Instant Help Book for Parents and Kids,” this activity book will help children and parents alike with the grieving process. There are 40 thoughtful activities for children that will allow them to express their emotions and feelings as they deal with missing their loved one. (6-12 years)

The Empty Place: A Child’s Guide Through Grief
By Roberta Temes, 1992
This book is written from the point of view of a third-grader whose big sister has died. He feels many emotions such as confusion, anger and guilt. He is also afraid others will die. He is able to confide in his babysitter who has lost a brother in an accident and who gives him suggestions to help ease his pain and gives him hope of better days ahead. (8-12 years)

Forever in My Heart: A Story to Help Children Participate in Life as a Parent Dies
By Jennifer Levine, 1992
A storybook and workbook for kids to help them cope with the loss of a parent. (8-12 years)

Books For Teens
I Will Remember You: What to Do When Someone You Love Dies
By Laura Dower, 2001
What to do When Someone You Love Dies is a book written specifically for the teenage reader who is coping with death and all the complex emotions that accompany it. The book addresses the different feelings and responses — both mental and physical — that one may have in this situation and why death is different for the teenager. Additionally, it offers helpful ideas and activities to help one explore his/her feelings and better cope during the various stages of grief and beyond.

Saying Goodbye: When You Don’t Want To
By Martha Bolton, 2002
Teens will find encouragement and hope in these stories by peers who share their thoughts and their pain from losing a parent, sibling or friend. The stories also touch on runaways and suicides, divorce, losses and failures and similar causes of grief.

Fire In My Heart, Ice In My Veins
By Enid Samuel-Traisman, 2002
This title is a journal to be completed by anyone who has suffered the loss of a friend or a loved one. Especially for teens, writing in the journal will help you explore your feelings and encourage you to get them out. It will ensure that you are not alone in your journey of grieving and will give you creative ideas to help you remember loved one.

Remembering You: A Book For Children and Teens Who Experience The Loss of a Brother or Sister
By Rose Resler, 1996
This scrapbook-style workbook encourages children to remember things about their sibling. Topics: “Some of the funniest things we ever did,” “My goodbye letter to you”

As Always I wish you Peace

Cal821
Yet no person is really alone;
those who live no more echo still within our thoughts and words,
and what they did has become woven into what we are.

I wish you peace and a level path on your journey...

Cal821
Old March 12th, 2015, 10:29

bump up for re-read

Cal821
Old June 26th, 2015, 11:29

bump to re-read

Cal821
Old March 23rd, 2016, 19:03

b ump-up for a re-read

Cal821