The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a sibling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 31st, 2013, 14:54

Unhappy lost my youngest sister

I'm Mikey and I'm 17. My youngest sister Chelsea (14) died last Saturday, she was anorexic and had been starving herself for 4 years. I don't know how to deal with it as I feel it was "suicide" a very slow and painful suicide. My parents haven't told my other sister, Eve (15), she is getting treatment for Anorexia just now and thinks Chelsea is a clinic getting treatment.

How can we break the news to Eve that Chelsea is dead without it upsetting her own recovery?
Old August 6th, 2013, 04:27

Shalom Mikey95 and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear of the death of your sister Chelsea. Know that I have already said a prayer for you and your family to be comforted.

Anorexia and bulimia are very complex illnesses of the mind. She didn't commit 'suicide' as she didn't see what she was doing to herself as wrong. In many ways it is just as bad an illness as any other disease, only this one is in the mind.

Young girls in our society are under a great deal of pressure to conform to what in NOT the normal dress size. In many ways society is responsible for this by glamourising a size 'zero'. Please don't be hard on her she was ill.

Can I urge you to take a look at the Childline website. There you will find useful information to help you understand about this condition. I too am more than willing to help you with this, if you want me too. Send me a private message with any questions if you don't want to place them on the main forum.

Now with regard to Eve. I can understand the way your parents feel about not telling her, but quite ofter girls with this condition compete with each other to see who can become the thinnest. Telling her is the best thing to do as it may trigger her into accepting treatment.

Please let me know if you want me to help you with this.
May God bless you
Tom +