The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Moving on after a loss
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 8th, 2007, 11:33

Default Keeping them alive in your life

I feel a big part of being able to move on is being able to keep a part of those lost alive in your life. I talked about my Grandpa on another thread and he was a big gardener. Every year he had a large garden and always outlined with beautiful flowers. Even the last year when moving around was getting very difficult. One of my ways of feeling close to him or feel his spirit alive is planting and growing things. I can't keep up with a large garden but had some spring flowers and a small herb garden. What are some of the things you do to aid in moving on but keeping them alive in your heart?
Old June 8th, 2007, 17:23

To me the best thing to do is still talk about the person amoung other people that knew the person. You are so right though in doing something like this.
Old June 8th, 2007, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower_1978 View Post
I feel a big part of being able to move on is being able to keep a part of those lost alive in your life. I talked about my Grandpa on another thread and he was a big gardener. Every year he had a large garden and always outlined with beautiful flowers. Even the last year when moving around was getting very difficult. One of my ways of feeling close to him or feel his spirit alive is planting and growing things. I can't keep up with a large garden but had some spring flowers and a small herb garden. What are some of the things you do to aid in moving on but keeping them alive in your heart?
This is a wonderful and loving tribute to your grandfather. And to share in this with other loved ones will let them know how important he was in your life. Thanks for sharing.
Old June 10th, 2007, 16:19

I think that keeping them alive in everyone memories is a wonderful way to honor their life.
Old July 1st, 2007, 21:22

I have always wanted to plant some flowers in memory of a close friend who passed away when I was 18. I've never done so, but I appreciate this reminder to do so when we get to working on our garden!

I, too, talk a lot about my loved ones who've passed. I want to keep their memories alive. I think it's important to keep their legacies strong, and to share those memories with others. That's definitely a great way to honor them!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:40

After a very close friend and neighbour passed away, we got a few of her books and DVDs. Some of them had her name handwritten in her writing.

I feel that when I read those books or watch the movies, I'm still sharing those stories with her. Plus her picture is on the piano with others and she's thought of everyday.
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:09

My best friend died in 2001. She was a very compassionate woman, always ready to take extra time with someone to listen or try to understand another point of view. I've tried to incorporate these positive qualities of hers into my own life, so that her legacy of love can continue to touch other people.
Old July 9th, 2007, 21:20

I have my Mom's maiden name tattooed on my right arm with her years of birth and death. I also continue to think about her and talk about her to people. I have some of her ashes and continually think about how she did things and how she did many of them without me ever noticing (like how she kept the house and laundry up!! LOL). Now I wish I could ask her and get an answer!!! LOL
Old July 9th, 2007, 23:04

I have all my grandpas old flannel shirts I am going to make a quilt out of. There are a lot of shirts so I figured I would make them about the size of a throw blanket that way I can make one for each of my boys as well.
Old July 12th, 2007, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmike123 View Post
I have all my grandpas old flannel shirts I am going to make a quilt out of. There are a lot of shirts so I figured I would make them about the size of a throw blanket that way I can make one for each of my boys as well.
This is such a neat idea! What a neat remembrance to pass on to your children, too! That's something to treasure, and to continually pass on. What a family heirloom!