The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a parent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 11th, 2014, 00:49

Default Animals grieve too

My sweet husband had a prairie dog named Nola when he passed. That poor sweet girl had her whole life ripped from what she was comfortable with. I had prairie dogs too but the males die more frequently than the females. Once my husband was ill her demeanor changed. She went from a sweet yippee howling girl to a biting little brat to most. When my honey passed Nola and my life imploded. She turned mean and depressed. Now she is my pd and doesn't tolerate anyone but myself. She was not like that before. Before his illness she was sweet yet destructive to everyone. Life has mellowed for her but only with me. She knows something is missing. Be aware your pets feel the pain of a loss as well. Her destruction comes from chewing on everything. Give your pets a little extra attention when their humans die please.
Old October 9th, 2014, 06:35

Hi baglady1st, i hear where you are coming from pets do definetley feel it when someone close to them passes.
My partner was very close to our 2 year old dog they did everything together they trained together worked they even shared a bed sometimes, my partner was the only one our dog would listen too .

My dog actually become depressed like all his joy had been taken within two weeks and he would often looks around the house and in the bed trying to find my partner its so sad .

The dog has become alot closer to me now and he really is like my rock and big pillow to cry on he has also become very protective of me.