The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grieving children
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 16th, 2008, 21:12

Most children don't really understand the true concept of death as permanent until the age of about 6 or 7. With respect to attending funerals, I think it depends on the child and don't forget that the child is also witnessing others crying or grieving and this can be a scary thing for them. You need to know the child first and if you want them to attend they need to know a little of what to expect. I chose not to have my 4 year old daughter attend the funeral because I took the cue from her. She was frightened just walking into the wake, nowhere near mom's casket but she was scared and and I sent her home with someone and chose for her not to attend the funeral but she did come to the repass dinner afterwards.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:12

I completely agree with you. When I was young, my parents left it up to me and I almost always said no. It wasn't a big deal because they knew that I couldn't really grasp what was going on. The funerals I did attend at that age didn't really bother me, but I can see how some children would be affected by the whole thing. It's an intense thing for any age, but you shouldn't feel guilty for keeping your young one at home.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 15:20

Unfortunately, my kids have had to attend funerals of their friends. I wouldn't even think of keeping them away. They really need to say goodbye, and plus it gives them something to think about.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 18:59

We have a boy in our church middle school group who is wise beyond his years. He recently lost a grandmother to cancer and he was there when she died. He has spoken to my husband about this subject, and wisely, he relates the event in terms of having seen both his little brother be born and his grandmother pass away. He is of the opinion that having seen life both begin and end, he will work harder to make his own life of value. He is truly a very wise lad!
Old October 7th, 2008, 06:52

My daughter is 10 and she has decided to go the funeral and I have put no pressure on her. I wasn't sure I wanted her to go as she is young but she wants to.

My son is 2 and is going for the simple fact it is our goodbye to his Daddy and he will not let me out of his sight so he has to come i suppose. I hope he doesn't play up but if he does it would be no less than his Daddy would expect.

i am 28 and this is my first funeral as I have never wanted to go to one. I didn't expect that the first one would be my fiances and I'd be arranging it