The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grieving teenagers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 11th, 2012, 23:53

Grief is completely different for every person. Just because going to the funeral may have been "inappropriate" for other people, the only person who matters is the one grieving and their parents or guardians when it comes to decisions like that. It is not right for another person to force someone to grieve or not grieve in a particular way, because they aren't the ones making the decision or feeling the way your son was or is.
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:53

I attended two funerals as a teenager and I think that it's necessary for kids. As adults we want to spare them from pain - I understand that. But they also have to learn that death, however it happens, is a part of life. Letting them attend funerals and be there for each other, be part of what is going on is part of the grief process for them. My son, 11, has a friend that he has played football with for six years. The friend's grandmother died. We had never met her, only knew the child and the parents, but both my husband and myself as well as my son attended the wake out of respect for the family. I wouldn't have dreamt of NOT bringing my child in that circumstance. Others will always judge - go based off of what is right for you.