The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grieving teenagers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:13
Administrator

Default Teens and grief

Iíve seen a number of interesting articles recently regarding children/teenagers coping with grief. Here are a few of them that might be useful - hope they're helpful in some small way:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/lifestyles/509438,4_5_JO15_GRIEFCAMP_S1.article

http://blog.mlive.com/kalamazoo_gazette_extra/2007/08/journey_through_grief_art_camp.html

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/08/11/10145672.html

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep: over 250 funeral poems, quotes and readings
If There's Anything I Can Do...: full of practical ways to help the bereaved
Old August 24th, 2007, 00:22

Thank you for the wonderful and helpfull links. They are a wealth of info. I think that teens in general have a very diffcult time dealing with death. They think themselves invensible, so when they loose a loved one, they have no where to turn. Very fustrating. I lost my Grandfather when I was 16yrs, and it was so hard to deal with. No one ever told me I would loose him. Thankx again I will copy these.
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:06

Those are good links. Teens are such fascinating creatures. One never really knows what a teen is like unless you can talk to them openly and honestly. I have always been open and honest with mine kids about ***, life and death. I work with a lot of teens and I find that it is the same with teens that are not my children: being open and honest with them is really the only way to go. They are reaching adulthood and they need to find their own beliefs and their own way of dealing with death. We just need to let them find it themselves.
Old September 28th, 2010, 18:14

Send a message via MSN to little-beckie
Default teen grieving

I am a teen grieving, I lost my boyfriend 3 months ago, he was murder and the people who did it was let out on bail. He was only 17 and and i am 17, I have my mum but she doesnt understand x
Old November 8th, 2010, 15:03

Send a message via AIM to Syncerly Skirts

Hi my name isz brittany and im going threw the exact same thing except I have my siser n bff to talk to but still no one understands and ive been lookin all on the internet for someone oor something to relate to me and you stuck out to me cuz our storries are sooo ssimilar please inboxme if you would like to talk I cant wait to hear from you..
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:08

Teenagers feel invincible and often participate in reckless behaviors that challenge death. Often teenagers fantasize about death, including their own. They often think that death won't happen to them or anyone they know. In addition they often feel the need to outwardly express their grief when someone has died. They seek comfort from their friends, but still want adults to offer sympathy and inquire about how they are coping.

I know that many hurting hearts will find the peace of the Lord when they come to this place. Thanks for your hard work may god bless and keep you and all you love.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:47

I have learned a lot about teenagers from teenagers. Sharing with me the confusion they are experiencing, the bitterness and resentment they sometimes feel toward their parents, the longing for a return to the way things were before illness or death struck, they have made me aware that losses inflicted on a person at this time of life can be particularly devastating. In spite of this, most of these same young people have been able to rebuild their lives over time, and their stories might help you do the same.

http://www.GriefOut.com
Providing a Helping Hand to Grieving Hearts
Ruby L. Taylor, M.S.W., Founder